Hello everyone … welcome to the 78th episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
- Baby Cocoon – 9mm (US13) – Oh Loops – Super Bulky – Miranda
- Baby Knot Hat – 9mm (US13) – Oh Loops – Super Bulky – Miranda
- Rose City Rollers – 2.25mm (US1) – Tiger Sock Yarn – Pattern by Mara Catherine Bryner
- Chunky Zig Zag Hat – 9mm (US13) – own design – Oh Loops – super Bulky – Miranda – Needs a NAME! (suggestions welcomed!)
- Design shawl – wont show it yet knit out of the Wool Barn yarn
- Corridale Spinning – two ply – 51gm – 120m – worsted weight – Make shift Lazy Kate to ply with.
- Baby’s Rainbow & Polka Dots Quilt – one pack of charm squares (66 in pack) used 56 squares, batting and self bound with backing – straight line quilting using my walking foot.
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
- Pinwheel Scrap Blanket – no new blocks.
- Vanilla Socks – 2.25mm (US1) – Mina’s Two At A Time Socks – Fire Fly Fibre Arts in Alfalfa Colourway
- Playdate Cardigan – 3.75mm (US5) – Playdate by Tin Can Knits – Nooch Fibre Arts – 100% Superwash Merino – Speeding Automobile Colourway
POSTSTITCH COLLABORATION & GIVEAWAY:
Check out the KAL thread in the Post Stitch group for September featuring my patterns HERE
See the Post Stitch Website HERE to sign up for a subscription box.
2016 SWEATER ALONG:
So as many of us have goals to knit more garments/sweaters this year I thought it would be great fun to have a year long KAL (knit or crochet) for sweaters!
This will be the chatter thread where you can discuss patterns, yarn choices and ask questions etc … I’m hoping that this space will be a supportive community where we can come to for encouragement and advice if and when we need it on our sweater knitting journey!
The general rules for the KAL are as follows:
- Be a member of the Knitting Expat Podcast Group
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after
- Any size or style of sweater can be entered (I will draw the line at sweaters knit for toys/decorations/ornaments though) – cardigans, shirts, short sleeve, etc
- You can enter each finished garment in a separate post in the finished objects thread
- The more you knit the more chances you have to win. This is the Chatter thread so you can chatter away and discuss your yarn choices and pattern ideas
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram is #2016sweateralong so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
There will be prizes of yarn, project bags, and other goodies yet to be determined. I will draw for prizes from the finished objects thread every three months so at the end of March, June, September and December.
8500+ Subscriber Giveaway:
Hey everyone so as a massive thankyou to you all for being so awesome I’ve put together this little prize package/bundle for you with goodies from my recent trip to Helsinki, Finland.
To enter to win all you have to do is answer the following prompt:
What is your favourite thing to knit for babies/small children as gifts? (If you have never knit anything for a baby/child then what would you like to knit?)
This THREAD will be open until the morning of the 20th September my time in Bahrain so I will close it in the morning when I wake up that day.
Beyond Vanilla KAL:
To celebrate the release of Beyond Vanilla Part 2, I will be hosting a KAL from now until the 3rd October for all of the Beyond Vanilla Sock patterns in this group!
To take part in this KAL all you have to do is to knit one of the Beyond Vanilla Socks patterns in this time! If you have already started a pair from Part 1 and would like to enter your WIP that is fine too as long as it is less than 50% completed.
Each finished item gets 1 entry in the FO thread.
There will be prizes but those are yet to be determined. I will share photos of the prizes once they have been finalised. If you wish to donate a prize to the KAL then please send me a message and we can arrange this.
And as always with my KAL’s you are more than welcome to double/triple/quadruple dip into as many other KAL’s as you like!
The end date for the KAL will be the 3rd October 2016.
If you have any questions then please let me know in the thread below. I will be available for pattern support along the way if you have any questions.
Also if you do post pictures on instagram please use the hashtag – #beyondvanillakal so we can see what your are all up to!
Self Managed Mini Skein Swap:
See details in the THREAD
Shop is currently empty. No update is yet scheduled.
QUESTION FOR YOU:
No question this week.
– Coupon Code for Katharina’s Etsy Shop LIBE’s Yarn – EXPAT10 – Gets you 10% off until 30th September
– Coupon Code for the Hopkins Studio ETSY shop where the code – KEXPAT – gets you 10% off your purchase.
– Coupon code for the 2KNITNCROCHET shop where the code – knittingexpat15 – gets you 15% off your purchase until 31st October.
- Goodies from Jeanette of the Bookish Stitcher Podcast and Open Skies Yarn company
- Some yarn goodies from Wool Couture – http://www.woolcouturecompany.com/ – who sent me some of their products to try out.
Bogway Handspinner –
I have had lots of people asking for information about this … you can find the website HERE … it is in Dutch but you can use google translate to translate the page for you … You can fill in the form to order a spinner HERE (same thing about the translating) … and if you are still unsure you can email the company on this email address – email@example.com – they do speak English so they should be able to get back to you with answers.
The only other place I have so far been able to find that sells them online is HERE but as of today they are currently sold out.
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …