Hello everyone … welcome to the 73rd episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
- Pure Joy Shawl – 4mm (US6) by Joji Locateli – using Madeline Tosh TML in Modern Fairisle and Malabrigo Mechita in Cielo Y Tiera
- Vanilla Socks – 2.25mm (US1) – Sweet Georgia Tough Love Sock – in Sweet Garden
- Repaired my Dad’s Henley sweater that he somehow managed to get a big hole in!
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
- Pinwheel Scrap Blanket – finished 0 blocks but added a couple triangles to my current block in progress.
- Shirestones Hat for my Dad – 4mm (US6) – Cascade 220 Superwash worsted in a chocolate brown colour.
- Vanilla Rainbow Shorty Socks – 2.5mm (US1.5) – Koigu KPPPM in colour P163 43
2016 SWEATER ALONG:
So as many of us have goals to knit more garments/sweaters this year I thought it would be great fun to have a year long KAL (knit or crochet) for sweaters!
This will be the chatter thread where you can discuss patterns, yarn choices and ask questions etc … I’m hoping that this space will be a supportive community where we can come to for encouragement and advice if and when we need it on our sweater knitting journey!
The general rules for the KAL are as follows:
- Be a member of the Knitting Expat Podcast Group
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after
- Any size or style of sweater can be entered (I will draw the line at sweaters knit for toys/decorations/ornaments though) – cardigans, shirts, short sleeve, etc
- You can enter each finished garment in a separate post in the finished objects thread
- The more you knit the more chances you have to win. This is the Chatter thread so you can chatter away and discuss your yarn choices and pattern ideas
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram is #2016sweateralong so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
There will be prizes of yarn, project bags, and other goodies yet to be determined. I will draw for prizes from the finished objects thread every three months so at the end of March, June, September and December.
Hey so Shannon of the Soxcetera Podcast and I will be co hosting a BLANKET KAL this summer … you can hear us chat about all the details in the video below:
- Go get some Minis
- Starts 1st July and runs to 31st August.
- make up some units for you scrap blanket (knit or crochet!)
- Post pictures to Instagram using #SummerBlanketBlitz – note if you have a private Instagram account, make sure you post here and in Shannon’s thread otherwise we wont see your entries.
- Double/Triple dip in both our threads and any other blankets KALs you want.
- Consider a new blanket such as my Pinwheel Scrap Blanket
- We will draw prizes from this thread and the hashtag thread on Instagram
ARE YOU A MAKER? WANNA DONATE A PRIZE? GET IN TOUCH!
Sugar Plum KAL:
From now until the 31st August I will be hosting a KAL for the Sugar Plum Shawl in my group!
To take part in this KAL all you have to do is to knit the Sugar Plum Shawl!
Each finished item gets 1 entry in the FO thread.
There will be prizes but those are yet to be determined. I will share photos of the prizes once they have been finalised. If you wish to donate a prize to the KAL then please send me a message and we can arrange this.
And as always with my KAL’s you are more than welcome to double/triple/quadruple dip into as many other KAL’s as you like!
The end date for the KAL will be the 31st August 2016.
If you have any questions then please let me know in the thread below. I will be available for pattern support along the way if you have any questions.
Also if you do post pictures on instagram please use the hashtag – #sugarplumkal so we can see what your are all up to!
Self Managed Mini Skein Swap:
See details in the THREAD
Shop is currently empty. No update is yet scheduled.
QUESTION FOR YOU:
No question this week.
– Coupon code from Deanna – dyer behind Swatch This Fibre Arts – EXPAT20 – 20% off your order for two months from now until 31st August
– Coupon Code for Katharina’s Etsy Shop LIBE’s Yarn – EXPAT10 – Gets you 10% off until 30th September
– Coupon Code for 2knitncrochet online shop – KnitExpat16 – 10% off your order until 31st July
– Coupon Code for Lizzies ETSY shop A Ball of Love Yarns – EXPAT20 – gives you 20% off until 1st September
– Coupon Code for Molly Klein Designs ETSY shop – KNIT10 – gives you 10% off until 1st September
– Coupon Code for Bags By Awesome Granny ETSY shop – EXPAT15 – gives you 15% off until 1st September.
– Coupon Code for Charan’s new SEASHELL SCRAP BLANKET pattern – EXPAT20 – gets you 20% off your purchase until the end of August.
– Coupon Code for the Hopkins Studio ETSY shop where the code – KEXPAT – gets you 10% off your purchase.
- Some lovely project bags from my Friend Mel
- A Bogway Handspinner from the lovely people at Low Lands Legacy (see more details below)
- Some Icelandic and Corriedale fibres to practice spinning with
Bogway Handspinner –
I have had lots of people asking for information about this … you can find the website HERE … it is in Dutch but you can use google translate to translate the page for you … You can fill in the form to order a spinner HERE (same thing about the translating) … and if you are still unsure you can email the company on this email address – firstname.lastname@example.org – they do speak English so they should be able to get back to you with answers.
The only other place I have so far been able to find that sells them online is HERE but as of today they are currently sold out.
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …