Hello everyone … welcome to the 68th episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
- Daybreak – 4mm (US6), Daybreak by Stephen West, using BabyLongLegs Semi Precious base in Raspberries, and Palouse Yarn Co BFL in Blue Canyon
- Vanilla Fathers Day Socks – 2.25mm (US1) out of Miss Babs Cosmic 3 Ply in the Rock The Cradle Colourway.
- Cozy Memories Blanket – 3mm – 224 squares total!
- Design Socks – 2.5mm (US1.5) – Rhichard Devrieze in Wintergreen & Sophisticated in Peppino – for Post Stitch
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
- Pinwheel Scrap Blanket – Design in progress
- Soubrette – 3.25mm (US3) – Mary Annarella, Drops Lace in grey – lightweight summer cardigan with a very interesting construction
2016 SWEATER ALONG:
So as many of us have goals to knit more garments/sweaters this year I thought it would be great fun to have a year long KAL (knit or crochet) for sweaters!
This will be the chatter thread where you can discuss patterns, yarn choices and ask questions etc … I’m hoping that this space will be a supportive community where we can come to for encouragement and advice if and when we need it on our sweater knitting journey!
The general rules for the KAL are as follows:
- Be a member of the Knitting Expat Podcast Group
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after
- Any size or style of sweater can be entered (I will draw the line at sweaters knit for toys/decorations/ornaments though) – cardigans, shirts, short sleeve, etc
- You can enter each finished garment in a separate post in the finished objects thread
- The more you knit the more chances you have to win. This is the Chatter thread so you can chatter away and discuss your yarn choices and pattern ideas
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram is #2016sweateralong so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
There will be prizes of yarn, project bags, and other goodies yet to be determined. I will draw for prizes from the finished objects thread every three months so at the end of March, June, September and December.
You can find all the details in the CHATTER THREAD.
From 1st May to 30th June myself and Nicole of the HUE LOCO PODCAST will be co-hosting a KAL for the Budding Bluebells Shawl pattern in this group!
To take part in this KAL all you have to do is to knit the Budding Bluebells Shawl
Each finished item gets 1 entry in the FO thread. The FO Thread will be hosted over in Nicole’s Group and the chatter thread is here in this group.
You will need to have a project page created and linked to the pattern page in order to be eligible for prizes.
There will be prizes but those are yet to be determined. We will share photos of the prizes once they have been finalised. If you wish to donate a prize to the KAL then please send me a message and we can arrange this.
And as always with my KAL’s you are more than welcome to double/triple/quadruple dip into as many other KAL’s as you like!
The end date for the KAL will be the 30th June 2016.
Also if you do post pictures on instagram please use the hashtag – #buddingbluebellskal so we can see what your are all up to!
Prizes announced this week.
Knitting Pipeline Ravelry shop for those who won patterns from her.
Hey so Shannon of the Soxcetera Podcast and I will be co hosting a BLANKET KAL this summer … you can hear us chat about all the details in the video below:
- Go get some Minis
- Starts 1st July and runs to 31st August.
- make up some units for you scrap blanket (knit or crochet!)
- Post pictures to Instagram using #SummerBlanketBlitz – note if you have a private Instagram account, make sure you post here and in Shannon’s thread otherwise we wont see your entries.
- Double/Triple dip in both our threads and any other blankets KALs you want.
- Consider a new blanket such as my Pinwheel Scrap Blanket
- We will draw prizes from this thread and the hashtag thread on Instagram
ARE YOU A MAKER? WANNA DONATE A PRIZE? GET IN TOUCH!
Self Managed Mini Skein Swap:
See details in the THREAD
7000 Subscriber Giveaway:
See details in the THREAD
Shop is currently empty. No update is yet scheduled.
QUESTION FOR YOU:
My question this week is more of a request for you to do me a favour and help some of my friends out with something. A couple of my lovely knitting friends in Dubai have been planning to open a yarn store in Dubai, but also planning a webstore which they are thinking of specialising in warm weather yarn. They plan to carry other stuff as well but it would be really helpful to understand more about what people currently buy and what they want out of a website and bricks and mortar shop.
They have put out a SURVEY to get an idea of what people look for from their local yarn shop and I would love it if you guys could take a couple minutes and fill it in.
In the survey there is an option to enter your Ravelry name – this is optional you do not have to provide your info if you do not want to. However, I will be offering a giveaway (will show the prize next week), the winner of which will be drawn from the pool of people who filled in the survey and submitted their ravelry names. I will have this open for two weeks until the morning of the 6th July when I will draw for the prize winner on that episode.
– Coupon code from Deanna – dyer behind Swatch This Fibre Arts – EXPAT20 – 20% off your order for two months from now until 31st August
– Coupon Code for Debbie’s Ravelry Shop – KEP30 gets you 30% off any pattern until 30th June 2016.
– Coupon Code for Packy Knits Design Shop on Etsy – EXPAT16 gives you 16% off your order until the 30th June
– Coupon Code for 2knitncrochet online shop – KnitExpat16 – 10% off your order until 31st July
– Coupon code for Sock pattern by Mary – Added Elegance Socks – use code KNITTINGEXPAT to get $1 off until 4th July
– Blog post about me and my sock knitting on the blog My Sisters Knitter
- A lovely package of goodies from a viewer Rachel
- A lovely swap package from Devan from Fancofille Knits
- A Batch of mini skeins from Dyeabolical Yarns – SOCK YARN SWAPPERS
- A wonderfully generous package of yarny goodness from the Oh Loops girls!
- PERISCOPING SISTERS
- STICKS + TWINE
- TWITCH AND STITCH
- WINDWALL KNITTING
- KNITTING PIPELINE
- GEEKY GIRLS KNIT
- MAPLE MOOSE FIBRES
- HUE LOCO
- FRANCOFILLE KNITS
- ANDRE SUE KNITS
- FRECKLED WHIMSY
- TWO TANGLED SKEINS
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …