Hello everyone … welcome to the 59th episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
- Brownstone Sweater – 5mm (US8) – Mystery Worsted Weight yarn – Pattern by Jared Flood of Brooklyn Tweed. – my first time knitting a bottom up sweater. This yarn bleeds like nobodies business!
- Design Sock –2.25mm (US1) – design project – Dubai Knits on the Luna Base in Wait for Me colourway.
- Hilltop Shawl – 4mm (US 6), The Fibre Company Yarns in Cumbria in the Grizedale Forest and Derwentwater colourways designed by Helen Stewart of the Curious Handmade Podcast – using stitch markers to kep track of stitch numbers.
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
- Cozy Memories Blanket – I added 3 squares this week with yarns from Little Bobbins.
- Get Lucky Vanilla Sock – 2.25mm (US1) – Nomadic Yarns yarns on the Brit Sock base (BFL/Nylon) in the Get Lucky Colourway
- Folded Brim Textured Hat – 4mm (US6) – Mystery Worsted Weight yarn – Pattern by myself making it up as I go. This yarn bleeds like nobodies business!
2016 SWEATER ALONG:
So as many of us have goals to knit more garments/sweaters this year I thought it would be great fun to have a year long KAL (knit or crochet) for sweaters!
This will be the chatter thread where you can discuss patterns, yarn choices and ask questions etc … I’m hoping that this space will be a supportive community where we can come to for encouragement and advice if and when we need it on our sweater knitting journey!
The general rules for the KAL are as follows:
- Be a member of the Knitting Expat Podcast Group
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after
- Any size or style of sweater can be entered (I will draw the line at sweaters knit for toys/decorations/ornaments though) – cardigans, shirts, short sleeve, etc
- You can enter each finished garment in a separate post in the finished objects thread
- The more you knit the more chances you have to win. This is the Chatter thread so you can chatter away and discuss your yarn choices and pattern ideas
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram is #2016sweateralong so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
There will be prizes of yarn, project bags, and other goodies yet to be determined. I will draw for prizes from the finished objects thread every three months so at the end of March, June, September and December.
5000 SUBSCRIBERS AND 1 YEAR PODIVERSARY GIVEAWAYS:
Prizes were announced this week.
EXPAT YARN KAL:
From 1st April to 31st May I will be hosting an Expat Yarn KAL in this group … Having hosted the Expat Yarn Swap I thought it would be fun to have a KAL to go along with the swap.
To take part in this KAL all you have to do is to knit a project out of yarn that is not from where you are. I.e. if you are from the USA use a yarn that is not made or dyed in the USA. The same goes for all other countries.
- You do not have to have taken part in the Expat Yarn Swap to take part in this KAL but if you did then this would be a good opportunity to use that yarn.
- Each finished item gets 1 entry in the FO thread. Please be reasonable and do not include really tiny items such as toys or small stuffies. I’m going to say nothing less than 30grams as a finished object can be entered to keep this as fair as possible for everyone.
- You will need to be a member of the Ravelry group to be eligible for prizes
- WIPS are allowed as long as you have some work left to do on it (atleast 50%). Please be fair to everyone and use your own discretion in this regard, do not enter an item that only has the bind off left to do.
- There will be prizes shown on the Podcast episode 55: 1- A sock sized Japanese Knot Bag and Stitch Marker set from The Tangled Skein CA Etsy shop (winners choice) 2- 2 skeins of Countess Ablaze lace (800m/100g) in this gorgeous purple
3- A wonderful package of goodies from Shannon of the Inspirational Yarn Etsy Shop including a Japanese Knot Bag, Yarn in her MCN base, Tea, Needle Holder, Mint & Lemon Sachet and stitch marker
4- A Skein of natural Fingering Weight Alpaca yarn farmed and spun in the UK from Half Penny Alpacas – along with a Fox Mina Makes Project bag
5- A Skein of Dubai Knits Yarn on Luna Base 100% Merino in Dark Sky colourway and a MinaMakes Drawstring bag with fabric Handwoven in Bahrain.
And as always with my KAL’s you are more than welcome to double/triple/quadruple dip into as many other KAL’s as you like!
The end date for the KAL will be the 31st May 2016.
If you have any questions then please let me know in the thread below.
Also if you do post pictures on instagram please use the hashtag – #ExpatYarnKAL so I can see what your are all up to!
Shop is currently empty. No update is yet scheduled.
QUESTION FOR YOU:
1. What do you think about Itunes? Would you like to see the podcast on Itunes? Is that important to you?
– Coupon Code for PRIMROSE YARN CO – EXPATKNITS will get you 20% off your order until 17th May 2016.
This week I shared some packages I got in the mail:
- Package of goodies from Eric – Sticks + Twine Podcast
- Package from Elly – FO & Dye Podcast
- Package from a viewer
- My order from Muststash Yarns
- Package from Kelsey of Primrose Yarn Co
- Package from Sadie of Knitters Nightmare
- Package from Lisa who runs the Sock Yarn Swappers Group on Ravelry.
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …