Hello everyone … welcome to the 55th episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
- Vanilla Smashup Socks –MINA’S TWO AT A TIME SOCKS – 2.25mm (US1) – Yarn is Goth Heart Creations in the Christmas Smashup Colourway
- Cowl Design Project – Peace Fleece in Wild Mustard
- Hue Loco Shawl Design – 4mm (US6) – Design project Collaboration with Nicole of Hue Loco, first sample being knit out of Woolbearers in their 100% merino in a teal gradient
- Woolbarn Pebble Beach Sock Design – 2.25mm (US1) Design, yarn is by The Woolbarn – Twist Sock base, Pebble Beach Colourway
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
- Cozy Memories Blanket – I added 3 squares this week.
2016 SWEATER ALONG:
So as many of us have goals to knit more garments/sweaters this year I thought it would be great fun to have a year long KAL (knit or crochet) for sweaters!
This will be the chatter thread where you can discuss patterns, yarn choices and ask questions etc … I’m hoping that this space will be a supportive community where we can come to for encouragement and advice if and when we need it on our sweater knitting journey!
The general rules for the KAL are as follows:
- Be a member of the Knitting Expat Podcast Group
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after
- Any size or style of sweater can be entered (I will draw the line at sweaters knit for toys/decorations/ornaments though) – cardigans, shirts, short sleeve, etc
- You can enter each finished garment in a separate post in the finished objects thread
- The more you knit the more chances you have to win. This is the Chatter thread so you can chatter away and discuss your yarn choices and pattern ideas
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram is #2016sweateralong so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
There will be prizes of yarn, project bags, and other goodies yet to be determined. I will draw for prizes from the finished objects thread every three months so at the end of March, June, September and December.
From 1st February to 31st March I will be hosting a Shawl KAL in this group … I have released a couple shawl patterns lately but have not been running any specific knit alongs for them so I thought we’d have a fun casual shawl KAL to celebrate!
Prizes have been shown on the podcast and one of the prizes will be a skein of yarn of the winners choice from the ETERNITY RANCH KNITS etsy shop. So make sure to check that out to see what you could potentially win.
To take part in this KAL all you have to do is to knit a shawl or as many shawls/scarfs/wraps/etc as you would like.
- Each finished item gets 1 entry in the FO thread. However if you knit one of my DESIGNS then you can enter your finished object twice in the FO thread.
- You will need to be a member of the Ravelry group to be eligible for prizes
- There will be prizes but those are yet to be determined. I will show them on the podcast as they get finalised. If you wish to donate a prize to the KAL then please send me a message and we can arrange this.
- WIPS are allowed as long as you have some work left to do on it. Please be fair to everyone and use your own discretion in this regard, do not enter an item that only has the bind off left to do.
- And as always with my KAL’s you are more than welcome to double/triple/quadruple dip into as many other KAL’s as you like!
The end date for the KAL will be the 31st March 2016.
If you have any questions then please let me know in the thread below. I will be available for pattern support along the way if you have any questions.
Also if you do post pictures on instagram please use the hashtag – #KESHAWLKAL so I can see what your are all up to!
EXPAT YARN KAL:
From 1st April to 31st May I will be hosting an Expat Yarn KAL in this group … Having hosted the Expat Yarn Swap I thought it would be fun to have a KAL to go along with the swap.
To take part in this KAL all you have to do is to knit a project out of yarn that is not from where you are. I.e. if you are from the USA use a yarn that is not made or dyed in the USA. The same goes for all other countries.
- You do not have to have taken part in the Expat Yarn Swap to take part in this KAL but if you did then this would be a good opportunity to use that yarn.
- Each finished item gets 1 entry in the FO thread. Please be reasonable and do not include really tiny items such as toys or small stuffies. I’m going to say nothing less than 30grams as a finished object can be entered to keep this as fair as possible for everyone.
- You will need to be a member of the Ravelry group to be eligible for prizes
- WIPS are allowed as long as you have some work left to do on it (atleast 50%). Please be fair to everyone and use your own discretion in this regard, do not enter an item that only has the bind off left to do.
- There will be prizes shown on the Podcast episode 55: 1- A sock sized Japanese Knot Bag and Stitch Marker set from The Tangled Skein CA Etsy shop (winners choice) 2- 2 skeins of Countess Ablaze lace (800m/100g) in this gorgeous purple
3- A wonderful package of goodies from Shannon of the Inspirational Yarn Etsy Shop including a Japanese Knot Bag, Yarn in her MCN base, Tea, Needle Holder, Mint & Lemon Sachet and stitch marker
4- A Skein of natural Fingering Weight Alpaca yarn farmed and spun in the UK from Half Penny Alpacas – along with a Fox Mina Makes Project bag
5- A Skein of Dubai Knits Yarn on Luna Base 100% Merino in Dark Sky colourway and a MinaMakes Drawstring bag with fabric Handwoven in Bahrain.
And as always with my KAL’s you are more than welcome to double/triple/quadruple dip into as many other KAL’s as you like!
The end date for the KAL will be the 31st May 2016.
If you have any questions then please let me know in the thread below.
Also if you do post pictures on instagram please use the hashtag – #ExpatYarnKAL so I can see what your are all up to!
SHOP UPDATE 3rd April 2016 AT THE FOLLOWING TIMES AROUND THE WORLD …
7PM – LONDON
9PM – BAHRAIN
2PM – NEW YORK
9AM – LOS ANGELES
2AM – PERTH
5AM – SYDNEY
15% off for the TANGLED SKEIN CA etsy shop using the code EXPAT15 valid until the 31st March 2016
15% off the OMGYARNANDFIBRE etsy shop using the code KNITTINGEXPAT valid until the 10th April 2016
This week I shared some packages I got in the mail and a few other bits I got in the UK:
- I knit or Dye Special Order of yarn for a future design
- Half Penny Alpacas – bare yarn from a farm in Maidstone UK
- Shannon sent me a lovely package of goodies including a prize for the podcast – Inspirational Yarns on Etsy
- Mini from Sarah/Adrienne – The Reluctant Sisters Podcast
- Shannon sent me a lovely package before I left for London – Soxcetera Podcast
- Michelle and I did a bag swap and I love what she sent me – Maple Moose Fibres on Etsy, and Stitch markers from Owls on Dante Etsy shop
- Nicole sent me some yarn for a shawl design as well as some other skeins to play with – Hue Loco
- A lovely viewer sent me some bags and one will be a future prize
- Hannah of Circus Tonic Handmade sent me some yarn to use for a design and a skein to giveaway – Circus Tonic Handmade
- INSIDE NR 23
- THE RELUCTANT SISTERS
- VICTORIAN STUDIO
- TILLY TROUT
- GROCERY GIRLS
- WOOL GATHERING
- THE FAWN KNITS
- HERBSTBLATT REGINA
- FO AND DYE
- KNITTING PIPELINE
- HUE LOCO
- TWO TANGLED SKEINS
- KILL TO CRAFT
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …