Hello everyone … welcome to the 53rd episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
- Design Socks – 2.25mm (US1) Future Design, yarn is by Trailing Clouds – Meandering Colourway
- Featherweight Cardigan – 4.5mm (US7) Hannah Fettig, Dream In Colour Smooshy – Dusky Aurora, Cascade Heritage Silk – cream – Major issue with the needles! Not impressed with the Knitters Pride/Knit Pro needles.
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
- Cake Pop Socks – MINA’S TWO AT A TIME SOCKS – 2.25mm (US1) – Yarn is by Opal from the sweet and spicy range in the Cake Pops colourway
- Wink Design Socks – 2.25mm (US1) Future Design, yarn is by Hedgehog Fibres sock club in Wink
2016 SWEATER ALONG:
So as many of us have goals to knit more garments/sweaters this year I thought it would be great fun to have a year long KAL (knit or crochet) for sweaters!
This will be the chatter thread where you can discuss patterns, yarn choices and ask questions etc … I’m hoping that this space will be a supportive community where we can come to for encouragement and advice if and when we need it on our sweater knitting journey!
The general rules for the KAL are as follows:
- Be a member of the Knitting Expat Podcast Group
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after
- Any size or style of sweater can be entered (I will draw the line at sweaters knit for toys/decorations/ornaments though) – cardigans, shirts, short sleeve, etc
- You can enter each finished garment in a separate post in the finished objects thread
- The more you knit the more chances you have to win. This is the Chatter thread so you can chatter away and discuss your yarn choices and pattern ideas
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram is #2016sweateralong so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
There will be prizes of yarn, project bags, and other goodies yet to be determined. I will draw for prizes from the finished objects thread every three months so at the end of March, June, September and December.
From 1st February to 31st March I will be hosting a Shawl KAL in this group … I have released a couple shawl patterns lately but have not been running any specific knit alongs for them so I thought we’d have a fun casual shawl KAL to celebrate!
Prizes have been shown on the podcast and one of the prizes will be a skein of yarn of the winners choice from the ETERNITY RANCH KNITS etsy shop. So make sure to check that out to see what you could potentially win.
To take part in this KAL all you have to do is to knit a shawl or as many shawls/scarfs/wraps/etc as you would like.
- Each finished item gets 1 entry in the FO thread. However if you knit one of my DESIGNS then you can enter your finished object twice in the FO thread.
- You will need to be a member of the Ravelry group to be eligible for prizes
- There will be prizes but those are yet to be determined. I will show them on the podcast as they get finalised. If you wish to donate a prize to the KAL then please send me a message and we can arrange this.
- WIPS are allowed as long as you have some work left to do on it. Please be fair to everyone and use your own discretion in this regard, do not enter an item that only has the bind off left to do.
- And as always with my KAL’s you are more than welcome to double/triple/quadruple dip into as many other KAL’s as you like!
The end date for the KAL will be the 31st March 2016.
If you have any questions then please let me know in the thread below. I will be available for pattern support along the way if you have any questions.
Also if you do post pictures on instagram please use the hashtag – #KESHAWLKAL so I can see what your are all up to!
EXPAT YARN SWAP:
Partners have been assigned, we had 294 people sign up from 23 different countries, and now you will have until the 10th March contact your partners, swap details and get your packages ready and sent.
Next shop update will be in early April
UPCOMING EVENTS I WILL BE ATTENDING:
March – Curious Handmade Country Retreat
July – Fibre East
15% off for the TANGLED SKEIN CA etsy shop using the code EXPAT15 valid until the 31st March 2016
15% off the OMGYARNANDFIBRE etsy shop using the code KNITTINGEXPAT valid until the 10th April 2016
This week I shared the lovely goodies I got from the Curious Handmade Country House Retreat Market place.
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …