Hello everyone … welcome to the 47th episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
All socks knit this week were knit using my MINA’S TWO AT A TIME SOCKS Pattern.
- Graffiti Overlay Socks – 2.5mm – 56sts, Mina’s two at a time socks, Spun Right Round in the Snappy Sock base (Corriedale / Nylon) in the Graffiti Overlay Colourway.
- Sweet Stripes Socks – 2.75mm – 52sts, Mina’s two at a time socks, Patons Kroy stripes in Sweet Stripes Colours,
- Wisteria Socks – 2.5mm – 56sts, Mina’s two at a time socks, Woolbearers yarn – Woolie Bears sock yarn Merino/Nylon in the Wisteria Colourway
- Pumuckl’s Party – 2.25mm – 60sts, Mina’s two at a time socks, Zia Wools in Pumuckl’s Party Colourway on the Scania base
- Flax Socks – 2.75mm – 56sts, Mina’s two at a time socks, Patons Kroy, Flax Colourway 9hr socks but could have been a 7hr pair if I hadn’t slowed down.
- Forever Socks – 2.5mm – 56sts, Mina’s two at a time socks, Lane Cervinia in Nr 46
- Berroco Soxs – 2.5mm – 56sts, Mina’s two at a time socks, Berroco Sox in 1426
- Cascade Heritage Socks- 2.5mm – 56sts, Mina’s two at a time socks, Cascade Heritage Paints in Nr 1 Hawks
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
- Brioche shawl Design – 3.75mm (US5) Sparkleduck Solo base in Stained Glass and Purl Soho Line Weight in Heirloom White
- Scraptastic Grellow hat – 3.75mm (US5) and 4mm (US6) – Malabrigo worsted/Rios & LB angora Merino in yellows and grey colours
Prize winners were announced this week.
Prize winners were announced this week for the Ravelry FO Thread and for the Instagram Contest.
2016 SWEATER ALONG:
So as many of us have goals to knit more garments/sweaters this year I thought it would be great fun to have a year long KAL (knit or crochet) for sweaters!
This will be the chatter thread where you can discuss patterns, yarn choices and ask questions etc … I’m hoping that this space will be a supportive community where we can come to for encouragement and advice if and when we need it on our sweater knitting journey!
The general rules for the KAL are as follows:
- Be a member of the Knitting Expat Podcast Group
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after
- Any size or style of sweater can be entered (I will draw the line at sweaters knit for toys/decorations/ornaments though) – cardigans, shirts, short sleeve, etc
- You can enter each finished garment in a separate post in the finished objects thread
- The more you knit the more chances you have to win. This is the Chatter thread so you can chatter away and discuss your yarn choices and pattern ideas
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram is #2016sweateralong so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
There will be prizes of yarn, project bags, and other goodies yet to be determined. I will draw for prizes from the finished objects thread every three months so at the end of March, June, September and December.
From 1st February to 31st March I will be hosting a Shawl KAL in this group … I have released a couple shawl patterns lately but have not been running any specific knit alongs for them so I thought we’d have a fun casual shawl KAL to celebrate!
To take part in this KAL all you have to do is to knit a shawl or as many shawls/scarfs/wraps/etc as you would like.
- Each finished item gets 1 entry in the FO thread. However if you knit one of my DESIGNS then you can enter your finished object twice in the FO thread.
- You will need to be a member of the Ravelry group to be eligible for prizes
- There will be prizes but those are yet to be determined. I will show them on the podcast as they get finalised. If you wish to donate a prize to the KAL then please send me a message and we can arrange this.
- WIPS are allowed as long as you have some work left to do on it. Please be fair to everyone and use your own discretion in this regard, do not enter an item that only has the bind off left to do.
- And as always with my KAL’s you are more than welcome to double/triple/quadruple dip into as many other KAL’s as you like!
The end date for the KAL will be the 31st March 2016.
If you have any questions then please let me know in the thread below. I will be available for pattern support along the way if you have any questions.
Also if you do post pictures on instagram please use the hashtag – #KESHAWLKAL so I can see what your are all up to!
EXPAT YARN SWAP:
So this swap idea has been something I thought of last summer and I have been wanting to host this swap ever since … finally I am at a point where I can do that and so I am excited to share with you the details of the very first Expat Yarn Swap!
I have created a google form for you to fill in EXPAT YARN SWAP SIGNUP FORM and this will make it easier for me to match people together randomly depending on their preferences for international/domestic shipping and location.
The main criteria of the swap is to include a 100g skein of yarn from your country (if swapping internationally) and or local to you ( especially if you are swapping domestically)
Also it would be nice to include some goodies from where you live (postcard, sweets/chocolate from your area, trinkets, locally handmade notions/soap, stuff like that).
Anything else you would like to include in the packages will be up to you and your partner to decide and agree upon. However to give you an idea – other things you could include could be mini skeins, project bags, notions pouch, a notebook, stitch markers etc
Signups will be open until the 20th Feb – then I will assign partners by Monday 22nd Feb – you will have until the 10th March to send your packages so that’s over 2 weeks after partners have been assigned.
Shop closed until I have more stock.
UPCOMING EVENTS I WILL BE ATTENDING:
March – Curious Handmade Country Retreat
This week I shared some more of the acquisitions I got from Vogue Knitting Live, including yarns from Shirsty Cat, Jill Draper and Annie & Co. I also share some lovely goodies I got from a lovely viewer Terese.
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …