Hello everyone … welcome to the 43rd episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
- PATONS CLOVER SOCKS – 2.75mm (US2), 56 sts, 2×2 rib, flkh – yarn is Patons Kroy FX in the Clover Colours.
- BLUE SPECKLED SOCKS – 2.5mm (US1.5), 56 sts, 2×2 rib, flkh – yarn is by Andre Sue Knits in a custom colourway on her OMG BFL base.
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
- COZY MEMORIES BLANKET – started this using my sock yarn scraps on 3mm (US 3) needles, and I am using the 49 stitch count with a Central Double Decrease – added 30 squares this week.
- KOI POND SOCKS – 2.5mm (US1.5), 56 sts, 2×2 rib, flkh – yarn is Knit Picks Stroll Handpainted in the Koi Pond Colourway.
- COUNTESS FELICI SOCKS – 2.5mm (US1.5), 56 sts, 2×2 rib, flkh – yarn is Knit Picks Felici in the Countess colourway.
- OUTLANDER SOCKS – 2.25mm (US1.), 64 sts, 2×2 rib, flkh – yarn is by Voolenvine Yarns in the Outlander Colourway on the Footsie base.
So to finally celebrate the release of all of the patterns for the Vida Collection I will be hosting a rather casual KAL in the group … I know its a busy time of year for knitters with Christmas coming up so I’m going to keep this one quite relaxed.
To take part in this thread all you have to do is to knit one of the three patterns in the collection … Vida Hat …Vida Shawl … Vida Socks … if you have already started that is fine too … WIPS are welcome!
Rules for entry are as follows:
- You have to be a member of the Ravelry group
- You have to knit one of the three patterns in the collection.
- You will need to enter a finished object (or more)
I will not be having a separate FO thread as I don’t expect this to be a very busy KAL due to the time of year. So all you have to do is post a FO picture in this thread along with all the chatter.
At the end of the KAL I will pull the names of those who post FO’s in the thread and draw from those. The number of entries you get for each pattern is as follows:
- Hat – one entry
- Socks – one entry
- Medium Shawl – two entries
- Large Shawl – three entries
The number of entries you get will correspond with the number of skeins of yarn required to knit the pattern making it proportional and fair for all.
There will be prizes but those are yet to be determined. (If you wish to donate a prize for this or any other KAL/Giveaway on my podcast then please send me a message and we can sort it out).
For now the tentative end date for the KAL will be the 31st December, but depending on how popular it is and if people would like more time I may decide to extend the finish date.
If you have any questions then please let me know in the thread below. I will be available for pattern support along the way if you have any questions.
Also if you do post pictures on Instagram please use the hashtag – VIDAKAL so I can see what your are all up to!
This January Marsha of the Fairy Little Podcast has challenged me to see who out of the two of us can knit the most socks in one month!
So starting January 1st 2016 we will be casting on and seeing who can knit the most pairs of socks before the month is over!
We also thought it would be good fun to open this up as a general sock knitalong in our respective groups … you can double or triple or quadruple dip into as many KAL’s as you would like.
The rules are simply as follows:
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after (NO WIPS ALLOWED)
- Only socks completed by 31st Jan will be allowed to enter for prizes
- Socks need to be knit out of Fingering Weight yarn (nothing thicker than heavy fingering – i.e. Patons Kroy is the thickest allowed)
- Socks need to be an adult sized pair with a normal length cuff on them – No short ankle socks allowed.
- No child sized socks, or tube socks can be entered for prizes.
- You can enter each finished pair of socks in a separate post in the finished objects thread (this will be opened on the 1st Jan 2016) – so the more you knit the more chances you have to win.
- This is the chatter thread, the FO thread will be a non chatter thread and any chatter in that thread will be deleted.
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram #JanSockathon so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
There will be prizes of yarn, project bags, and other goodies yet to be determined.
2016 SWEATER ALONG:
So as many of us have goals to knit more garments/sweaters this year I thought it would be great fun to have a year long KAL (knit or crochet) for sweaters!
This will be the chatter thread where you can discuss patterns, yarn choices and ask questions etc … I’m hoping that this space will be a supportive community where we can come to for encouragement and advice if and when we need it on our sweater knitting journey!
The general rules for the KAL are as follows:
- Be a member of the Knitting Expat Podcast Group
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after
- Any size or style of sweater can be entered (I will draw the line at sweaters knit for toys/decorations/ornaments though) – cardigans, shirts, short sleeve, etc
- You can enter each finished garment in a separate post in the finished objects thread
- The more you knit the more chances you have to win. This is the Chatter thread so you can chatter away and discuss your yarn choices and pattern ideas
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram is #2016sweateralong so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
There will be prizes of yarn, project bags, and other goodies yet to be determined. I will draw for prizes from the finished objects thread every three months so at the end of March, June, September and December.
3000 SUBSCRIBER GIVEAWAY:
The Giveaway prize is the following (shown on episode 41 of the podcast):
The prize includes:
-4 skeins of LettLopi yarn – worsted weight, 50g = 100m in 4 different colours (dark green, navy blue, light grey and black – all are heathered colours) would be perfect for a Baa-Ble or other colourwork project.
-A hand made needle felted sheep pin
-4 metal buttons
-A hand made felted soap bar
-A bar of Icelandic Chocolate
Thank you to everyone who entered … a winner was announced on this weeks episode to please check it out if you entered to see if you won!
The recent shop update went really well … so much so that there is only a couple bags left in the shop!
UPCOMING EVENTS I WILL BE ATTENDING:
January – New York Vogue Knitting Live
March – Curious Handmade Country Retreat
May – I Knit Fandango – London
No new acquisitions this week.
- TWO TANGLED SKEINS
- FAIRY LITTLE
- WOOL GATHERING PODCAST
- THIS OLD KNIT
- THE KNITTING BROOMSTICK
- ANDRE SUE KNITS
- SWIFT KNITS
- STITCHING BETWEEN PAGES
- KILL TO CRAFT
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …