Hello everyone … welcome to the 42nd episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
- HIGHLAND FELICI SOCKS – 2.5mm (US1.5), 56 sts, 2×2 rib, flkh – yarn is Knit Picks Felici in the Highland colourway.
- HIGHLAND PEAKS WORSTED VERSION – 6mm (US10) – Malabrigo Worsted in the Sunset, Pigeon and Sapphire Green colourways – own design – beginner garter lace shawl – using a traditional Shetland lace pattern on the edging – hoping to have it ready to release early in the new year.
- CHRISTMAS EVE THIS WAY THAT WAY SOCKS – 2.25mm (US1), 64 sts, 2×2 rib, flkh – yarn is from A Home Spun House in the Festival Of Lights colourway on the Olsen fingering base …
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
- COZY MEMORIES BLANKET – started this using my sock yarn scraps on 3mm (US 3) needles, and I am using the 49 stitch count with a Central Double Decrease – added 4 squares this week.
- I also shared this week the 10 socks worth of Yarn I have lined up for the January Sockathon KAL.
So to finally celebrate the release of all of the patterns for the Vida Collection I will be hosting a rather casual KAL in the group … I know its a busy time of year for knitters with Christmas coming up so I’m going to keep this one quite relaxed.
To take part in this thread all you have to do is to knit one of the three patterns in the collection … Vida Hat …Vida Shawl … Vida Socks … if you have already started that is fine too … WIPS are welcome!
Rules for entry are as follows:
- You have to be a member of the Ravelry group
- You have to knit one of the three patterns in the collection.
- You will need to enter a finished object (or more)
I will not be having a separate FO thread as I don’t expect this to be a very busy KAL due to the time of year. So all you have to do is post a FO picture in this thread along with all the chatter.
At the end of the KAL I will pull the names of those who post FO’s in the thread and draw from those. The number of entries you get for each pattern is as follows:
- Hat – one entry
- Socks – one entry
- Medium Shawl – two entries
- Large Shawl – three entries
The number of entries you get will correspond with the number of skeins of yarn required to knit the pattern making it proportional and fair for all.
There will be prizes but those are yet to be determined. (If you wish to donate a prize for this or any other KAL/Giveaway on my podcast then please send me a message and we can sort it out).
For now the tentative end date for the KAL will be the 31st December, but depending on how popular it is and if people would like more time I may decide to extend the finish date.
If you have any questions then please let me know in the thread below. I will be available for pattern support along the way if you have any questions.
Also if you do post pictures on Instagram please use the hashtag – VIDAKAL so I can see what your are all up to!
This January Marsha of the Fairy Little Podcast has challenged me to see who out of the two of us can knit the most socks in one month!
So starting January 1st 2016 we will be casting on and seeing who can knit the most pairs of socks before the month is over!
We also thought it would be good fun to open this up as a general sock knitalong in our respective groups … you can double or triple or quadruple dip into as many KAL’s as you would like.
The rules are simply as follows:
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after (NO WIPS ALLOWED)
- Only socks completed by 31st Jan will be allowed to enter for prizes
- Socks need to be knit out of Fingering Weight yarn (nothing thicker than heavy fingering – i.e. Patons Kroy is the thickest allowed)
- Socks need to be an adult sized pair with a normal length cuff on them – No short ankle socks allowed.
- No child sized socks, or tube socks can be entered for prizes.
- You can enter each finished pair of socks in a separate post in the finished objects thread (this will be opened on the 1st Jan 2016) – so the more you knit the more chances you have to win.
- This is the chatter thread, the FO thread will be a non chatter thread and any chatter in that thread will be deleted.
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram #JanSockathon so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
There will be prizes of yarn, project bags, and other goodies yet to be determined.
3000 SUBSCRIBER GIVEAWAY:
Hey everyone … so as a massive thank you to you all being such wonderful people and being so incredibly supportive of this little podcast of mine … I have decided to do another giveaway since I’ve just surpassed the 3000 subscriber mark on Youtube!
The Giveaway prize is the following (shown on episode 41 of the podcast):
The prize includes:
-4 skeins of LettLopi yarn – worsted weight, 50g = 100m in 4 different colours (dark green, navy blue, light grey and black – all are heathered colours) would be perfect for a Baa-Ble or other colourwork project.
-A hand made needle felted sheep pin
-4 metal buttons
-A hand made felted soap bar
-A bar of Icelandic Chocolate
“What are your Knitting/Crafting ambitions for 2016?”
To enter to win this prize you have to do the following:
- Be a member of the Knitting Expat Podcast Group on Ravelry
- Answer the prompt in the comments section
- This is a no chatter thread and the winner will be selected by Random Number Generator
- The thread will be open until the 1st January 2016 and the winner will be announced on the first podcast in the new year.
Next shop update will be on Saturday 2nd January 2016 at 9pm Bahrain time (10am Los Angeles, 1pm New York, 6pm London, 7pm Europe, 2am Perth, 5am Sydney)
2015 KNITTING STATS:
- Total meterage knit in 2015 = 49,698m – 302m short of 50,000 = almost 50km of yarn
- Nr of skeins used since May = +130
- Approx the equivilant of 124 skeins of fingering weight yarn (approx. 400m each)
- 10 patterns published, 2 more in the works.
2015 Projects Knit:
- Shawls – 29
- Cowls/scarves – 7
- Socks – 40
- Childrens items – 4
- Adult sized garments – 10 (including 2 ponchettes)
- Hats – 21
- Mittens – 3
- Other – 9
- Blanket – 1 in progress sock yarn blanket
2016 CRAFTING AMBITIONS:
- Knit 50 pairs of socks
- Keep designing – lots of plans for shawls and want to try designing garments for children & have ideas for some colourwork patterns
- Knit at least 6 adult garments – one to include some stranded colourwork & steeking
- Sew a quilt
- Sew some more garments for myself
- Work on doing some more collaborations with others in the community
- Keep on top of KAL’s I am participating in
- Keep on top of updating my RAV projects
- Knit more than I purchase – i.e. reduce my stash
UPCOMING EVENTS I WILL BE ATTENDING:
January – New York Vogue Knitting Live
March – Curious Handmade Country Retreat
May – I Knit Fandango – London
This week I shared some goodies I got this week in swaps from Emilie from Norway, Lysaine from France and some fabrics I picked up in Dubai.
- LITTLE BOBBINS
- CURIOUS HANDMADE
- FAIRY LITTLE
- TINY PAPER FOXES
- STICKS + TWINE
- THE CANADIAN KNITTER
- SUBURBAN STITCHER
- ANDRE SUE KNITS
- MADE WITH CARLENERGY
- HOMESPUN HOUSE
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …