Hello everyone … welcome to the Seventeenth episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
1. RAINBOW SOCK BLANK SOCKS – knitting with iKnit Lazaretto sock yarn on 2.5mm needles and used a 1×1 ribbing for the cuff … with a contrast heel flap.
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
1. VANILLA HEART & SOLE BRITALONG SOCKS – plain vanilla socks (not using a pattern) with Fish Lips Kiss Heel and knitting in self striping yarn … these will be for a friend.
2. ROCK ISLAND – By Jared Flood and I am knitting these on 4mm needles in the Drops Lace in the Olive colourway.
3. RAGLAN JUMPER FOR MY DAD – started this one finally, using 4mm needles and Drops Big Merino yarn.
4. COZY MEMORIES BLANKET – started this using my sock yarn scraps on 3mm needles. (Did not show on this weeks podcast)
So I figured after the recent news in the USA with Gay marriage being legal in all states and all the lovely Rainbow inspired projects I’d been seeing all over instagram these last few days I wanted to start a Rainbow-Along KAL … the rules are pretty simple:
– Pick a fun rainbow skien (or rainbow inspired – it doesn’t have to be a true rainbow to count as long as its reasonably rainbow-y enough) and cast on a fun colourful project … it can be anything you like. (it can be any type of craft, Knitting, crochet, cross stitch, weaving, etc)
– The KAL starts now (29th June 2015) and will run until the end of September (30th) of this year.
– You will need to be a member of the KNITTING EXPAT PODCAST RAVELRY GROUP to be eligable for prizes.
– There will be a chatter thread for general Chit Chat about the KAL and other such fun things
– There will be a Finished Objects Thread which will just be for FO’s and no chatter allowed in this thread – One finished project equals one entry in the FO thread.
– There will be prizes but these are still to be decided and announced. If you are a bag maker/stitch marker maker/ yarn dyer/ other maker of things / or just a lovely viewer who is interested in donating a prize for this KAL then please get in touch with me and we can sort it out.
KNIT-A-LONG DETAILS FOR SUNRAYS SHAWL:
– The KAL will start from the date of the pattern release until the 24th August 2015, Finished Objects can be posted into the FO thread after the 1st July. So you can start before but cannot finish the shawl before the 1st July in order to enter the KAL.
– You will need to be a member of the KNITTING EXPAT PODCAST RAVELRY GROUP to be eligible for prizes
– Signups are open for those interested in ordering yarn from THE YARN TREE UK (the link will take you to a form to fill in online) … who dyed up the wonderful ‘Fiery Sunset’ colourway for my shawl pattern and has given me an extra skein as a giveaway prize … the yarn is also being offered with a 10% discount already applied to the price of the skeins so if you are interested this is a good time to buy!
- 1 skein of The Yarn Tree UK’s Sock Yarn – 75% Merino, 20% Nylon and 5% Gold Stelina base in the Fiery Sunset Colourway.
- 1 skien of The Natural Dye Company CHI Merino/Bamboo Sock yarn in the Peacock 3 colourway … this is a beautiful skein of yarn by a company that is no longer in business so you cannot get this anywhere else.
- 1 project bag made by me … the actual project bag will be made specially for the winner once selected and the winner will have a selection of fabrics to choose from for their bag.
I have a shop update going live this evening … you can find my bags for sale on Etsy at http://www.minamakes.etsy.com
– My Mum brought me a bunch of lovely goodies from the UK that I had ordered and some that she got me as a surprise!
– My Rainbow Project bag that I won from the Swift Knits podcast arrived!
– I also picked up some fun new prints and fabrics for new project bags too!
PODCASTS I MENTIONED:
2. SWIFT KNITS
3. ZAZU PODCAST
5. BAKERY BEARS
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …