Hello everyone … welcome to the tenth episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … today coming to you from my home back in Bahrain … I’m hoping for this to be a way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
1. TODDLER CABLED HAT … I used some of the RICO CREATIVE MELANGE CHUNKY Yarn I’d ordered to make up this cute child’s hat for a friend’s 3 year old … I created the pattern myself so may type that up to be released if anyone is interested … I actually had to rip it out and start again as it was too small for her head … so this is actually the second attempt now … but I didn’t have the hat to show on the podcast so here is a picture of it instead …
2. WINTER IS COMING SHAWL … Sally-Jane of the PINK HAIR GIRL Podcast is doing a KAL for this shawl she designed inspired by the Game of Thrones series … and I knit the whole thing start to finish on the journey over from Bahrain to London …
3. NEWBORN VERTEBRAE … by Kelly Brooker is a free pattern on Ravelry which I am knitting up as part of the LeLoBabyKAL being organised by the lovely Lottie of the ANDJUSTANOTHERPODCAST and Lea of the ALLYOUKNITISLOVE Podcast …
ON THE NEEDLES:
1. PERSISTENCE IS KEY – I have some Caron yarn in my stash that I want to use up and I think this cabled cardigan will be perfect! Plus I’ve been wanting to make a cabled cardigan for ages … Finally got this one started and I am just working on the sleeve and body increases before I separate for the sleeves!
2. PONCHETTE – This is a shawl turned poncho pattern which my Mum picked out and said she really liked so I knit it up for her … its off the needles now but not completely finished yet so I’m still considering this one a WIP … I’m knitting this in the DROPS BABY ALPACA SILK in the Red and Medium Grey colours.
COMING UP ON THE NEEDLES:
1. RAGLAN Jumper for my Dad … I’m going to be using the DROPS BIG MERINO yarn …
1. LUCY – who I met at Loop while I was in London and she was visiting from the states gifted me a very lovely package of goodies from her home state of Virginia …
2. MARIA – from the Stitched in Sweden Podcast sent me some gorgeous swedish yarns to try … a couple skeins of Knit Picks along with some Fabric and other beautiful goodies to play with …
3. KATRINA – another wonderful viewer of the podcast who I was lucky enough to get to meet while I was in London also gifted me an amazing selection of sock yarn scraps as well as other pretty things to play with … along with a prize for the Knit-A-Long I’ve got planned for the summer …
KNIT A LONG for the SUNRAYS SHAWL- DETAILS:
– The KAL will start from the date of the pattern release until the 24th August 2015
– You will need to be a member of the KNITTING EXPAT PODCAST RAVELRY GROUP to be eligible for prizes
– Signups are open for those interested in ordering yarn from THE YARN TREE UK (the link will take you to a form to fill in online) … who dyed up the wonderful ‘Fiery Sunset’ colourway for my shawl pattern and has given me an extra skein as a giveaway prize … the yarn is also being offered with a 10% discount already applied to the price of the skeins so if you are interested this is a good time to buy!
- 1 skein of The Yarn Tree UK’s Sock Yarn – 75% Merino, 20% Nylon and 5% Gold Stelina base in the Fiery Sunset Colourway.
- 1 skien of The Natural Dye Company CHI Merino/Bamboo Sock yarn in the Peacock 3 colourway … this is a beautiful skein of yarn by a company that is no longer in business so you cannot get this anywhere else.
- 1 project bag made by me … the actual project bag will be made specially for the winner once selected and the winner will have a selection of fabrics to choose from for their bag.
Today I shared mostly all of the stuff I purchased from LOOP in London and at the IKnit Fandango Fibre Festival held in London while I was on my trip …
1. Yarn Swift
2. Eucalan Wool Wash – Lavender Scent
3. Malabrigo Sock – Velvet Grapes colourway
4. Crazy Zauberball’s
5. Madeline Tosh Light – in Tern and Jade
6. Socks that Rock Lightweight – in Crazy Lace Agate colourway
7. Sirdar Heart & Sole – 2 self striping colourways
8. Unknown DK Weight Yarn 100% wool
9. Unknown Cashmere Merino Lace weight yarn
10. Sparkleduck – 100% single ply merino in the Stained Glass colourway
11. Fibrespates – 100% merino 4 ply in the Tweed Imps colourway
12. I Knit Or Dye – Rainbow sock blank
13. Quince & Co Chickedee – Sport weight yarn in the Franks Plum and Frost colourways
14. Wollmeise Lacegarn – in the Grapes for Sheri colourway
15. Wollmeise Twin – in the Johannisbeer und Brennessel colourway
16. Set of 4″ Hiya Hiya Sharps interchangeable needles
I have a lot of other acquisitions to share but it will have to be spread over a couple more episodes otherwise I’m afraid I will be talking for hours …
PODCASTS I MENTIONED:
1. TILLY TROUT
5. YARN ON OVER
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …