Hello everyone … welcome to Episode 108 the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in New York City with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai and then Bahrain up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
You can find me on RAVELRY … INSTAGRAM … FACEBOOK … and my LIFE BLOG … and of course YOUTUBE …
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
You can find my Original Designs for sale on Ravelry HERE …
- Perry Spiral purls Socks – 2.5mm (US1.5) – own pattern – using Primrose Yarn Co in the Cosmic Helix base in the Emerald Midnight Potluck
- Child hat – 4mm (US6) own design – used Primrose Yarn Co in the Lemongrass Colourway held double, on the Sophia MCN base
- Mix & Match Baby/Child Sweater – 4.5mm (US7) own design – used Primrose Yarn Co in the Lemongrass Colourway held double, on the Sophia MCN base – currently this pattern is in testing I’m hoping it will be released in the middle-end of September
- Vintage Inspired Baby Dress – 3.5mm (US4) – own pattern coming out in a while still need to write it up and get it tested etc – this is my first version – inspired by a dress one of my Aunts knit for me when I was a baby … I reverse engineered it and made some changes … will still make a few changes … I am waiting for some yarn to arrive from a dyer who is providing the yarn support for this pattern so I can get the final version knit up.
- Pinwheel Sock Scrap Blanket – 0 blocks completed
- Scrappy Granny Stripe Blanket – 3.5mm E Hook – following Attic 24 tutorial – chainless foundation approx. 270sts
- Vanilla Gift Socks – 2.25mm (US1) – own pattern – using Alize sock yarn – no Colourway number or name on the band
- The Makers Cuff Socks – 2.25mm (US1) – a free cuff pattern by Amber Crawley – dyer behind Makershaven yarn and host of the Makershaven podcast – using Narwhal Needleworks Yarn in the Lil Narwhal in the Big City – this years VKL colourway
- Christmas Baby Chevron Blanket – 6mm (US10) – no real pattern just doing a garter chevron pattern as I had done on a blanket I knit for layla – for my SIL’s baby – only using 5 of the colours out of the 6, going the use the 6th to make a sweater for the baby and use the leftovers of the other colours to make some contrasting stripes.
- Samples from Blacker Yarns
- Makers Haven yarn for a couple of designs!
- Wolke Sock Kit – Giveaway Prize
- These kits are a collaboration between Gabby of Once Upon a Corgi Podcast, Becky of the Stringing It Together Podcast, and Hannah of The Craftea Chat Podcast
- You get 1 full skein and a 25gm mini of OUAC yarn dyed by Gabby – Once Upon A Corgi on Etsy
- The Wolke Sock pattern including the New Depths Heel by Becky – Soprano Knits on Ravelry
- 1 Cloud progress keeper by Hannah – The Corner of Craft on Etsy
- Kits go on sale on the 1st September at 10am Eastern time in Gabby’s Etsy Shop and will be shipped from the US and you will get a code with your order to download the pattern.
- The pattern itself will also be released on the 1st September so you can always get that separately if you just want the sock pattern.
- I will be using this kit as a podcast prize for the August New York Sock Club prize drawing as it seems rather fitting to do so!
Sock Pattern Club – The New York Collection:
Check out the Chatter Thread HERE for details!
You can purchase the Ebook HERE
#KEDKAL17 – Knitting Expat Designs Year Long KAL
Check out the Chatter Thread HERE for details
Self Managed Mini Skein Swap:
See details in the THREAD
SOCK CLUB 2018 INFORMATION:
I’ve been asked by a few people the last little while and I mentioned it on the vlog podcast that I was curious if you would be interested in a sock club for 2018 … and it seems most of you have been very eager for it to happen again … I’ve decided to do it a little differently this time based on some of the feedback I’ve been getting with how this one went … There will be two clubs running simultaneously each will have 6 patterns and they will be released on alternating months.
The first club will be perfect for beginners, sock knitters who have not yet ventured away from knitting plain vanilla socks or very simple knit purl textures … this club will be great for those wanting to expand a little more beyond that but still keeping things simple and fun.
The second club will be more geared towards intermediate/advanced and more experienced sock knitters … those who are more than comfortable with the knit purl textures on socks and are looking for something more than that … these socks will include patterns that require more concentration … still not difficult and I honestly believe a confident beginner would be more than capable of knitting these patterns as well. I will be upfront and say I’m planning a couple to have some form of cabling/twisted stitches and one will have a type of colourwork involved (not fair isle or mosaic) but colourwork that’s done one colour at a time – you won’t be knitting with 2 colours at the same time at any point with this one.
The idea behind releasing the patterns for each club on alternating months is that for the beginner sock knitters they may need more than a month to complete a pair of socks, and as the intermediate patterns are going to require a little more thought, those choosing to do that club also may need more than a month to complete them, especially considering everyone has lives and many knit more than one project at a time. Then those who are speedy knitters and really just want to and enjoy knitting all the socks you can of course join both clubs and knit all of them!
This is all I have figured out so far and as the year goes on I will announce more details, regarding pricing, when the clubs will go up for presale etc.
QUESTIONS FOR YOU:
– Coupon Thread HERE
– Knitting Planning Spreadsheet – HERE
– Yarn tracking Spreadsheet – HERE
General Comments About Pattern Support –
Please use the email (email@example.com) in the patterns or Rav private messaging to ask me about any patter support questions you have. Instagram/facebook etc are not appropriate places to ask for pattern support. I don’t always see your questions there or get notifications about private messages on instagram. I specifically include my email address on all of my patterns so you have a way to contact me for pattern support and I would appreciate it if you would respect that and use that avenue to contact me … it is by far the best way to do so and I am likely to respond to you the fastest via email as well.
I get a lot of questions about links in the pattern pdf’s not working and all you have to do is copy and paste the link into your internet browser if that is the case. The links for some reason don’t always work on mobile devices so you may have to access them on a computer.
All can be found on youtube:
Once Upon A Corgi
Stringing it Together
The Craftea Chat Podcast
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …