Hello everyone … welcome to the 79th episode of the Knitting Expat Podcast … this has become such a wonderful way for me to get more involved with the online knitting community and I’ve been loving it so far … so please do get in touch … I’d love to hear from you … so far I’ve been loving the interaction with other knitters from around the world that this new avenue has opened up to me … come join the fun …
Here is this weeks episode …
Things I talked about …
INTRODUCTION & WHERE TO FIND ME:
Hi my name is Mina, I currently live in Bahrain with my Husband and 2 cats, we lived in Dubai up until recently and before that we were in London UK. You can learn more in the ABOUT ME section, otherwise if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me a message on Ravelry/Instagram.
I have also created a RAVELRY GROUP for the Knitting Expat Podcast so you can join in the conversation there …
Finally you can find my Project Bags for sale on ETSY …
- Vanilla Socks – 2.25mm (US1) – Mina’s Two At A Time Socks – Fire Fly Fibre Arts in Alfalfa Colourway
- Hitchhiker – 3.5mm (US4) – Pattern by Martina Behm – used Verdant Gryphn Skinny Bugga – MCN blend in the Father Alinoth’s Son Colourway
- Playdate Cardigan – 3.75mm (US5) – Playdate by Tin Can Knits – Nooch Fibre Arts – 100% Superwash Merino – Speeding Automobile Colourway – adaptations – steeking
- Lightning Strike Hat – 9mm (US13) – own design – Oh Loops – super Bulky – Miranda
- Open Skies Hat – 3.25mm & 4mm (US 3 & 6) – own design using Open Skies Yarn by Jeanette of Bookish Stitcher podcast – she sent me the yarn and I wanted to design a hat with some of her yarns as I know how much she enjoys knitting hats and cables so this is inspired by her!
- Sea Crest shawl – 4mm (US6) – own design – bottom up shawl with garter lace and option to stripe the body – using 3 colours of the Wool Barn Smooth Sock – Cerise, Deep Sea & Silver
WORKS IN PROGRESS:
- Pinwheel Scrap Blanket – no new blocks.
- Baby Rose City Rollers – 2.5mm (US1.5) – by Mara Catherine Bryner – Nooch Fibre Arts – 100% Superwash Merino – Speeding Automobile Colourway
- Vanilla Regia Socks – 2.25mm (US1) – Mina’s Two At A Time Socks – Regia Design Line by Kristin Nichols colour nr 3311
30TH BIRTHDAY GIVEAWAY:
Check out the THREAD in the group for details!
2016 SWEATER ALONG:
So as many of us have goals to knit more garments/sweaters this year I thought it would be great fun to have a year long KAL (knit or crochet) for sweaters!
This will be the chatter thread where you can discuss patterns, yarn choices and ask questions etc … I’m hoping that this space will be a supportive community where we can come to for encouragement and advice if and when we need it on our sweater knitting journey!
The general rules for the KAL are as follows:
- Be a member of the Knitting Expat Podcast Group
- Cast on 1st Jan 2016 or after
- Any size or style of sweater can be entered (I will draw the line at sweaters knit for toys/decorations/ornaments though) – cardigans, shirts, short sleeve, etc
- You can enter each finished garment in a separate post in the finished objects thread
- The more you knit the more chances you have to win. This is the Chatter thread so you can chatter away and discuss your yarn choices and pattern ideas
The Hashtag I will be using on instagram is #2016sweateralong so feel free to tag your pictures using the same if you would like to join in …
I have decided to close the thread and the KAL at the end of September!
8500+ Subscriber Giveaway:
Prize winner was announced this week!
Beyond Vanilla KAL:
To celebrate the release of Beyond Vanilla Part 2, I will be hosting a KAL from now until the 3rd October for all of the Beyond Vanilla Sock patterns in this group!
To take part in this KAL all you have to do is to knit one of the Beyond Vanilla Socks patterns in this time! If you have already started a pair from Part 1 and would like to enter your WIP that is fine too as long as it is less than 50% completed.
Each finished item gets 1 entry in the FO thread.
There will be prizes but those are yet to be determined. I will share photos of the prizes once they have been finalised. If you wish to donate a prize to the KAL then please send me a message and we can arrange this.
And as always with my KAL’s you are more than welcome to double/triple/quadruple dip into as many other KAL’s as you like!
The end date for the KAL will be the 3rd October 2016.
If you have any questions then please let me know in the thread below. I will be available for pattern support along the way if you have any questions.
Also if you do post pictures on instagram please use the hashtag – #beyondvanillakal so we can see what your are all up to!
Self Managed Mini Skein Swap:
See details in the THREAD
Shop is currently empty. No update is yet scheduled.
QUESTION FOR YOU:
No question this week.
– Coupon Code for Katharina’s Etsy Shop LIBE’s Yarn – EXPAT10 – Gets you 10% off until 30th September
– Coupon Code for the Hopkins Studio ETSY shop where the code – KEXPAT – gets you 10% off your purchase.
– Coupon code for the 2KNITNCROCHET shop where the code – knittingexpat15 – gets you 15% off your purchase until 31st October.
- Some buttons from my friend Jhocy
- I was thoughtfully gifted the latest Wooly Wormhead Hat pattern collection for children by a lovely viewer.
Bogway Handspinner –
I have had lots of people asking for information about this … you can find the website HERE … it is in Dutch but you can use google translate to translate the page for you … You can fill in the form to order a spinner HERE (same thing about the translating) … and if you are still unsure you can email the company on this email address – email@example.com – they do speak English so they should be able to get back to you with answers.
The only other place I have so far been able to find that sells them online is HERE but as of today they are currently sold out.
That is it for this week’s Episode, I hope you enjoyed and if you did please subscribe on Youtube … join the Ravelry group and leave a little comment to say hello and/or to let me know what you think … I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions or ideas for the podcast and of course I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have aswell.
Till next time …
Happy Knitting …